City Football League President Cup 2023 will begin with five of the best teams in the League at the City Football Complex.
Saunders, Java Lane, Colombo, Maligawaththa Youth and Moragasmulla are the five teams battling for the trophy. However, according to the organizers Renown had not responded to the request to participate. Saunders are the defending champions.
The first round will be on a league basis while the top four teams will play an eliminator-qualifying round (IPL style) to book a place in the final. Furthermore, there will be no foreign players participating. Champions will receive a cash prize of LKR 150,000 while runners-up will get LKR 100,000.
Speaking of the tournament Secretary of the City FL Anton Joy had this to say,
“Even with Sri Lanka being suspended by FIFA we wanted to continue our tournament because we want to keep football alive in Sri Lanka. We are having this for the 6th year and with some of the best clubs in the country participating it has been very successful. We also plan of having our U19 tournament soon after this tournament ends.”
- Five-star Navy crush Army for the championship
- Two late goals clinch the championship for Army
- Zahira demolish archrivals Hameed Al Husseinie to become champions
- Sri Lanka likely to lose Olympic & U23 Asian Cup qualifier spots
- Sports Minister suspends Sri Lanka Football
- 3 conditions to get the FIFA ban lifted
Saunders v Java Lane will kick off the tournament on 17th June at 3.30 pm while Colombo will take on Moragasmulla on 18th June.