St. Joseph’s College and Hameed Al Husseinie College secured wins in week 1 of ThePapare Football Championship 2022.
St. Joseph’s v Kingswood
St. Joseph’s twice came from a goal down to beat Kingswood College, Kandy 4-2 at the Moragasmulla Grounds.
Mohamed Ihshan gave Kingswood the lead in the 23rd minute when he tapped in from close range. Tharuka Ashantha equalized after Kingswood goalkeeper R.D. Piyarathne fumbled a cross and Ashantha was able to bundle home the rebound.
After the break, the visitors once again took the lead, this time through Mohamed Farhan in the 53rd minute but the Josephian substitute Andrew De Waas scored twice in the 66th & 77th minutes to give the hosts the lead. Ashantha was at hand once again to pounce on a rebounded save to score the 4th goal in the 84th minute.
- Nation’s 20 best schools in ThePapare Football Championship 2022
- Deedat 16th Zahira Super 16 on 1st Oct
- India outclass Nepal to retain SAFF U17 title
- Nepal sends Sri Lanka for a six; India down Bangladesh in semis
- Sri Lanka into semi-finals; joins India, Nepal & Bangladesh
- Sri Lanka squad for SAFF U17 announced
- Serendib falters again; Moragasmulla stun Negombo
Hameed Al Husseinie v De Mazenod
Hameed Al Husseinie College were made to sweat for their 1-0 win against De Mazenod College, Kandana at the City Football Complex.
Hameedians missed a few chances in either half, but De Mazenod defended stoutly, making a couple of goal savings tackles as well. The hosts were left frustrated, but H.R.A. Nicson’s direct free kick in the 85th minute gave Hameedians a nervy win in the end.
For the visitors, captain Rishika Seimon, Shashika Seimon and Geenath Wijesuriya had a good game. While captain Mohamed Kaliq and Nicson were the standouts for the hosts Hameed Al Husseinie.