Sri Lanka defeated Maldives 1-0 to book a place in the semi-finals of the SAFF U17 Championship 2022 at the Racecourse Stadium.
After being heavily defeated 5-1 against Bangladesh, Sri Lanka needed a win or a draw against Maldives to advance into the semi-final. Sri Lanka scored the only goal in the game in the 10th minute after Mohamed Mufas pounced on a mistake by goalkeeper Razeef Mohamed, off a Fazul Rahuman free-kick, for an easy tap-in.
Sri Lanka missed a few chances towards the end but managed to preserve the lead and make it into the semi-final against Nepal.
- Sri Lanka squad for SAFF U17 announced
- Serendib falters again; Moragasmulla stun Negombo
- Java Lane & Matara City go punch for punch; Serendib stumble again
- Sri Lanka draw with Maldives; lose to India, Bangladesh & Nepal
- Sri Lanka to host SAFF U17 Championship
- Sri Lanka U20 Squad named; Thushmika Captain
- Sri Lanka U20 in improved performance v Sea Hawks
Sri Lanka v Bangladesh
Bangladesh beat Sri Lanka 5-1 in matchday one of the championship. Bangladesh led 2-0 at half time with goals from Rubel Shaikh and Mursed Ali. Ali added another in the 75th minute before Yasser Sharfraz pulled one goal back for Sri Lanka in the 77th minute to make it 3-1.
However, Sirajul Rana made it 4-1 in the 79th minute and Nazim Uddin added the 5th in the 90+2nd minute.
Bhutan 0 – 3 India
Bangladesh 5 – 0 Maldives
Nepal 2 – 1 Bhutan
India 1 – 3 Nepal