Sri Lanka drew 1-1 against Nepal in an unofficial friendly match played in Qatar in preparation for the AFC Asian Cup 2023 qualifiers.
Nepal had most of the possession while Sri Lanka sat back and attacked on the counter. Sri Lanka threatened with the long throw-ins throughout the game and one of those resulted in substitute Mariyathas Nitharshan scoring the opener in the 80th minute.
- Sri Lanka partners Qatar FA & Aspire for National Teams revival
- Sri Lanka in tough group for U20 Asian Cup qualifiers
- Sri Lanka in Group J for U17 Asian Cup qualifiers
- Preliminary Squad for Asian Cup qualifiers announced; Waseem included
- Morrison, Stevens, Ferreira & Co. to drive Sri Lanka Football
- New Coaching Staff arrives in Sri Lanka
- Champions League Football & Volleyball Super League postponed indefinitely
- Andy Morrison appointed Head Coach of National Football team
In injury time (90+1st min) Nepal scored the equalizer from the penalty spot following a foul by Afeel Mohamed. Sri Lanka did have a couple of injury scares, the biggest of which is for Chalana Chameera who was substituted in the first half after a clash of heads.
This is certainly a morale boosting draw for Sri Lanka given their limited preparation period. They will look to improve on this when they arrive in Uzbekistan for the qualifiers which starts on 8th June.