The elections of the Sri Lanka Football Federation (FFSL) will be held on September 16, 2023, it was announced today (August 10).
According to reports, Minister of Sports Roshan Ranasinghe has given the go ahead for Sri Lanka Football to conduct its election. The election is to take place under the supervision of FIFA and the Asian Football Confederation (AFC).
- Sports Minister accepts FIFA conditions; Sri Lanka into World Cup qualifiers
- Sports Minister suspends Sri Lanka Football
- 3 conditions to get the FIFA ban lifted
- FIFA bans Sri Lanka Football
- Injunction order lifted but court case to be held on 21st February
- Temporary interim injunction against Sri Ranga & Co.
This development comes just two weeks after Minister of Sports agreed to implement the three conditions given by FIFA to lift the suspension on Sri Lanka. That allowed Sri Lanka to be included in the 2026 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers.
The election, which is the 3rd condition will need to be fulfilled by at least 1st October or else FIFA reserves the right to remove Sri Lanka from the qualifiers. Until the elections are held, the suspension still stands.