Two 2nd half goals saw FC Colombo defeat Maligawaththa Youth 2-0 to win the City League President’s Cup 2023 at the City Football Complex.
The 1st half was a tight contest even though favourites Colombo dominated possession and territory. Colombo attacked from the wings, but their crosses were efficiently dealt with by the Maligawaththa defenders. Maligawaththa did get two free kicks, but the execution was poor.
Colombo were camped inside the opposition half, but a well-disciplined Maligawaththa Youth side kept the Colombo attack at bay until halftime.
- Sports Minister accepts FIFA conditions; Sri Lanka into World Cup qualifiers
- Sports Minister suspends Sri Lanka Football
- 3 conditions to get the FIFA ban lifted
- FIFA bans Sri Lanka Football
- Injunction order lifted but court case to be held on 21st February
- Temporary interim injunction against Sri Ranga & Co.
After the break, Maligawaththa Youth came out attacking and nearly took the lead from a free kick from the edge of the box. However, Mohamed Imran was able to punch the ball out of danger.
A minute later, Colombo had the lead when a marauding Charitha Rathnayake ran in from center-back and hit the crossbar. The rebound fell kindly to Mohamed Aakib, who had an easy header from close range in the 51st minute.
In the 64th minute, Aakib doubled the lead, against his hometown club, with a left-footed finish from Ahamed Shazny assists, silencing the majority Maligawaththa Youth crowd. After that, the game lost its venom as the more experienced Colombo controlled the game until full-time.
- Player of the Final – Mohamed Aakib (Colombo)
- Best Goalkeeper of the Tournament – Mohamed Imran (Colombo)
- Best Defender of the Tournament – Mohamed Fazil (Maligawaththa)
- Best Midfielder of the Tournament – Ahamed Shazny (Colombo)
- Best Striker of the Tournament – Mohamed Aakib (Colombo)
- Player of the Tournament – Mohamed Sharfan (Maligawaththa)