Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) have announced their 15-member squad for the upcoming U19 Youth Asia Cup 2019, which will be played in Sri Lanka from the 5th to the 14th of September.
Middle-order batsman Nipun Dananjaya will continue to lead the Sri Lankan side, assisted by dashing wicket-keeper batsman Kamil Mishara.
The junior national selectors have retained the core of the side for the eight-team competition from the recently-concluded home series against the Pakistan U19s, which the visitors won 3-2.
When SL U19 met Pakistan on their way to SA 2020
With wins to open and conclude the 5-match Youth ODI series in Sri Lanka’s Southernmost…..
Apart from Dananjaya and Mishara, Navod Paranavithana, Thaveesha Abhishek, Ravindu Rashantha and fast-bowling all-rounder Avishka Tharindu will be expected to make the bulk of the runs as they have done in the past.
Left-arm spinning all-rounders Sonal Dinusha and Dilum Sudeera have been dropped to the stand-by list. Sudeera, who took 5 wickets in 2 matches against Pakistan U19s, unfortunately has missed the cut as Rohan Sanjaya and Paranavithana, who are already in the squad provided left-arm spinning options for Sri Lanka. The right-arm off-spin twins, Ashain Daniel and Sandun Mendis will most likely vie for one place along with right-arm leg-spinner, Kavindu Nadeeshan who provides another spin-bowling option.
The selectors have named three uncapped players, who are set to play for Sri Lanka U19 for the first time. Ahan Wickramasinghe, stylish right-handed batsman, who made 290 runs in 4 innings during the U19 Super Provincial Tournament has earned a maiden call-up.
16-year old, tall left-arm seamer, Yasiru Rodrigo, who is yet to play first XI cricket, has been added to the squad along with right-arm seamer Amshi De Silva. Sri Lanka will rely on the left-arm pace of Dilshan Madusanka and right-arm medium fast bowler Chamindu Wijesinghe to strike early with the new ball.
Read More: Sri Lanka to host U19 Asia Cup in September
The U19 team is coached by former Sri Lanka captain Hashan Tillakaratne and the team manager will be former Sri Lankan all-rounder Farveez Maharoof.
Sri Lanka U19s were the runners-up in the 2018 edition of the ACC Youth U19 Asia Cup held in Bangladesh with India U19s winning the title.
Sri Lanka U19 Squad
1. Nipun Dananjaya (Captain – St. Joseph Vaz College, Wennappuwa)
2. Kamil Mishara (Vice-Captain/Wicket-keeper – Royal College, Colombo)
3. Navod Paranavithana (Mahinda College, Galle)
4. Thaveesha Abhishek (Richmond College, Galle)
5. Ravindu Rashantha De Silva (S. Thomas’ College, Mount Lavinia)
6. Ahan Wickramasinghe (Royal College, Colombo)
7. Avishka Tharindu (St. Anthony’s College, Wattala)
8. Rohan Sanjaya (Tissa Central College, Kalutara)
9. Ashain Daniel (St. Joseph’s College, Colombo)
10. Sandun Mendis (Richmond College, Galle)
11. Kavindu Nadeeshan (Dharmasoka College, Ambalangoda)
12. Yasiru Rodrigo (S. Thomas’ College, Mount Lavinia)
13. Dilshan Madushanka (Vijayaba Central College, Hungama)
14. Chamindu Wijesinghe (Nalanda College, Colombo)
15. Amshi De Silva (Richmond College, Galle)
16. Chamindu Wickramsinghe (St. Anthony’s College, Katugasthota)
17. Dilum Sudeera (Richmond College, Galle)
18. Sonal Dinusha (Mahanama College, Colombo)
19. Chihan Kalindu (St. Servatius College, Matara)
|Group A||Group B|
|India U19||Sri Lanka U19|
|Pakistan U19||Bangladesh U19|
|Afghanistan U19||United Arab Emirates U19|
|Kuwait U19||Nepal U19|