The Sri Lanka Rugby men’s and women’s sevens teams are currently stranded in Hong Kong following the aftermath of typhoon Mangkhut that has taken the country by storm.
The two teams have been declared safe and are currently residing in their hotel with the typhoon passing Hong Kong. There had been minor damages incurred to the hotel but Sri Lankan management has declared that the two teams are safe.
“The two teams are safe. They will return hopefully to the island tomorrow evening(16th). I have been in contact with the team management to ensure their safety” added Sri Lanka Rugby President Lasitha Gunaratne on the situation.
Originated from the Philippines, the storm has spread across to Hong Kong and is moving towards mainland China. The depression has caused severe damage to Hong Kong with fierce winds and torrential rain expected.
Hong Kong authorities have raised a T10 rating – the highest rating for a typhoon in the country – and has urged the public to stay indoors until the situation comes to a cease. The city has been shut down and all air travel has been cancelled.
The Sri Lanka men and women who participated in the 1st leg of the Asia Sevens Series were set to return to Sri Lanka this evening but with all air travel halted as of now, their flights can be delayed until Monday(17th) evening.
— Ben Westcott (@Ben_Westcott) September 16, 2018
The Asia Sevens series 1st leg concluded on Saturday(15th) at the Hong Kong Football Club yesterday while the development in the adverse weather emerged last evening. Currently, all 16 teams that participated in the tournament are stranded in the hotel owing to this situation.
Foreign media reports that at least 900 flights have been cancelled in the airports of Hong Kong, Shenzhen and Guangzhou and more than 200 have been delayed.
Reports further state that the airport will recommence operations on Monday evening to accommodate the backlog of flights with the typhoon drifting away from Hong Kong at the moment but officials indicate that the warning will remain intact for the next few hours with the destructive storms and hurricane winds continuing in the city.
The flight details for the two national teams are yet to be confirmed after assessing the situation.