Police blow away Army with commanding win

Police's Janith Chandimal touches down for Police

Police Sports Club dominated from the onset, convincingly defeating visitors Army Sports Club 41-19 — kick starting a rare winning run — in the Dialog Club Rugby League game played at Police park.

The visitors made five changes coming into this crucial encounter, while the hosts came in with just three changes, off the back of a win against Air Force.

Both teams promised plenty before kick-off, however, it was one way traffic during the whole of the first half. Army were held scoreless, while the Cops ran away in the first half with a convincing show.

Police converted from their very first attempt reaching the Army 22-meter area as Sachith Silva knocked over three points early on as Army’s discipline let them down. (Police 03-00 Army)

Gayan Salinda had the opportunity to level things out, however, his kick went astray. Police piled on the pressure again, leaving Army’s line-out in shambles early on.

The mistake turned out be costlier than first expected as Nisal Samadhi made no mistake from close range. The angle was too much as Silva pushed it wide from close to the touch line. (Police 08-00 Army)

Police went a man down as Vageesha Weerasinghe saw yellow, however, it did not slow them down as Army made things tougher for themselves losing attacking ball.

Photos : Police SC v Army SC | Dialog Rugby League 2018/19

Rasith soon doubled his tally on the day as the Army lineout continued to let them down in prime attacking territory. Sachith failed to add the extras. (Police 13-00 Army)

  • Police's Janith Chandimal touches down for Police

Sachith Silva was in the thick of the things early on, this time showing some individual brilliance to score the hosts second of the game. The winger got on the outside of the defender, turning on the after burners, leaving his chasers in the dust to score beside the touch line. The two misses with the boot meant Yohan Peiris assumed the kicking duty, nailing the extras. (Police 20-00 Army)

Sujan Koditthuwakku was the next to dot down for Police. Meanwhile, Silva was forced off with a head injury, however, Police did not take their foot off the pedal as their systems did not let them down. In contrast, Army never managed to get a foothold in the first half, going into the sheds trailing by 27 points.  

Half Time: Police SC 27 (4T 2C 1P) lead Army SC 00

Rasith Silva completed his double, quarter hour into the second half, as the game looked all but sealed for the home team. Janith Chandimal took over kicking duties from Yohan, making no mistake with his first kick in the second half. (Police 34-00 Army)

Army finally turned up midway through the second half with tries from Aravinda Karunarathna and reserve halfback Mohamed Rizvi, however, a 20-point gap meant the result was already in the bag of the home team.

Karunarathna and Rizvi both scored as a result of some brisk play from Army, displaying what they are capable of, however, things never went their way on the day. (Police 34-14 Army)

Things went from bad to worse as Thirusha Adikaram saw yellow for a dangerous tackle. Mummar Deen put the cherry on top of the cake with a try off yet another Army mistake as their players went to sleep. Janith Chandimal kept his perfect record with the boot in-tact as the result was a foregone conclusion. (Police 41-14 Army)

Gayan Salinda scored a consolation try in the dying embers, however, things will only get tougher for Army as they play CR & FC while Police take the short journey to Racecourse to take on CH & FC.

Full time: Police SC 41 (6T 4C 1P) beat Army SC 19 (3T 2C)

ThePapare.com Player of the Match: Yohan Peiris (Police Five-eighth)

Score breakdown:

Police: Nisal Samadhi 1T, Rasith Silva 2T, Sachith Silva 1T 1P (1/3 Successful Kicks) Sujan Koditthuwakku 1T, Yohan Peiris 2C (2/2 Successful Kicks) Mummar Deen 1T, Janith Chandimal (2/2 Successful Kicks)

Army: Aravinda Karunarathna 1T, Gayan Salinda 1T 2C (2/3 Successful Kicks) Rizvi Mohamed 1T