The Ministry of Sports, Departments of Sports Development, Sri Lanka Athletics Association and the National Olympic Committee met yesterday (22nd January) to discuss matters of a prospective pool of Sri Lankan athletes for the upcoming Olympic Games.
Y K Kularathne has been appointed as the Coach …………..
After Sri Lanka’s top-notch performance at the recently concluded South Asian Games in Nepal where the Athletics team brought home the highest medal collection of 15 Golds, planning and training for the Olympics has already sparked among the administrators.
Around 27 athletes who brought home medals from the South Asian Games have been identified and shortlisted as top prospects to gain Olympic qualification in the next five months leading up to the Games in Tokyo.
Newly appointed head coach of the national team, Y K Kularathne opined that it was a great start to motivate the athletes to perform better come the Olympics and to protect the up and coming national pool.
Few events have been identified as key events to focus on Olympic Qualification, which includes the Men’s and Women’s 4x100m relays, Mixed Relay, 400m and the throwing events. The below athletes have been shortlisted to train in the Olympic pool.
With the end of a historic event comes a ………..
Sri Lanka Athletics Pool for Olympics 2020
- Indunil Herath – 800m
- Aruna Darshana – 400m
- Janaka Wimalasiri – Long Jump
- Amila Jayasiri – Long Jump
- Safreen Ahamed – Triple Jump
- Greshan Dananjaya – Triple Jump
- Himasha Eshan – 4x100m
- Vinoj Suranjaya – 4x100m
- Yupun Abeykoon – 4x100m
- Chanuka Dharmakeerthi – 4x100m
- Chamod Yodhasinghe – 4x100m
- Dilshi Kumarasinghe – 400m
- Nilani Rathnayake – 3000m Steeplechase
- Sarangi Silva – Long Jump
- Vidusha Lakshani – Triple Jump
- Hashini Praboda – Triple Jump
- Lakshika Sugandi – Heptathlon
- Nadeesha Lekamge – Javelin
- Nadeeka Lakmali – Javelin
- Amasha De Silva – 4x100m
- Sharmila Jaan – 4x100m
- Sadeepa Henderson – 4x100m
- Shelinda Jansen – 4x100m
- Lakmal Gunarathne – Mixed Relay
- Rajitha Rajakaruna – Mixed Relay
- Nadeesha Ramanayake
- Kawshalya Madushani
Coach Y K Kularathne together with the administrative will come up with an elaborate training plan both locally and internationally for the upcoming five months in order to gain a few qualification spots from Sri Lanka.
The Ministry of Sports in par with the Department of Sports Development have graciously come forward to sponsor the players with their nutrition and accommodation to better support the pool in their training.
Keep it logged onto ThePapare.com for more information and updates on this!