Army retained their FA Cup title in some style as they drubbed Java Lane 5-1 in a one sided final at the Sugathadasa Stadium. Braces from Issadeen and Rahuman ensured the title stayed with the Soldiers as they completely outplayed their opponents, who were making their first appearance in an FA Cup final.

Both teams got off to nervy starts as the pressure of the big day seemed to tell on the players on the pitch. Army nicked the first goal of the encounter with the first clear cut chance for either team, courtesy of a wonderful move down the left. Sajith Kumara backheeled the ball to Madhushan De silva whose cross went right across the box for Issadeen to poke home at the far post.

Madhushan continued to be a real threat down the left and created a golden chance for Issadeen to double his tally, but the forward could not direct his header goalwards. Naveen Jude went close to equalizing for the lads from Slave Island, but his header created from an Aleem free kick from the edge of the six yard box clipped the bottom of the post and went out of play.

Issadeen missed another golden opportunity a short while later, hitting the post from point blank range, after once again set up by Madhushan De Silva. De Silva did bag his second assist of the game, when he set up a goal from a free kick, needlessly conceded by Muneer Sally. His wonderfully lofted ball was poked home by Asikoor Rahuman who slid in to double Army’s advantage.

Abdullah had a glorious opportunity to cut the deficit for Java Lane to one in extra time, but couldn’t direct a wonderful cross from Razooniya towards goal.

Half Time:  Army SC 2 – 0 Java Lane SC

Army got the second half off to a bright start with Asikoor Rahuman finding the back of the net from another set piece, this time sending a looping header over Senarath from a Sajith Kumara corner. Shortly afterwards Sajith Kumara found the back of the net himself, sending a low drive past Senarath as Army asserted their dominance on the game.

Army continued to look threatening as Java Lane heads started to drop and fatigue started to affect the flow of the Java Lane game. They were restricted to efforts from range by some disciplined Army defending, none of which caused any problems for Sirisena in the Army goal.

A shocking error from Senarath gifted Issadeen his second of the night, after failing to gather a long ball into the box. Substitute Chandrasekara picked up the loose ball and squared it for Issadeen to score a tap in to inflict further punishment on Java Lane.

Java Lane were not to be denied a goal on their big night and in stoppage time they got a goal to round off a memorable campaign, as Naveen Jude converted his first real chance of the game. Army ended night being crowned FA Cup champions for the second year in succession, cementing their place in history with one of the biggest wins in an FA Cup final.

Full  Time: Army SC 5 – 1Java Lane SC Player of the Match: Asikoor Rahuman (Army SC)

Goal Scorers
Army SC: M. Issadeen 12′ 80′, A. Rahuman 44′ 50′, S. Kumara 57′
Java Lane SC: N. Jude 90+2′


Yellow Cards
Army SC: S. Kumara 38′, A. Rahuman 45′
Java Lane SC: D. Kumara 67′

Java Lane SC: D. Kumara for M. Abdullah 56′, R. Kumar for S. Razooniya 84′, A. Ayub for D. Senarath 86′
Army SC: T. Chandrasekara for T. Senanayake 66′, S. Bernard for S. Kumara 79′