The inaugural edition of the Independence Trophy – Ceylon Provincial League, organized by the Football Federation of Sri Lanka (FFSL) is set to begin be played from the 25th of January to the 28th of February 2022.
8 teams are set to participate in the tournament – Western, Eastern, Southern, Central, Sabaragamuwa, Uva, Northern and Rajarata (North-Western and North-Central combined team).
The tournament will function as an Under 28 competition and will have a few participation rules as follows.
- Each squad will be required to have a minimum of 6 Under 21 players
- A minimum of 3 Under 21 players per side must play each game
- Each squad must include a minimum of 3 Under 19 players
- A minimum of 1 Under 19 player per side must play each game
The tournament will kick-off tomorrow at the Maligapitiya grounds in Kurunegala. Other cities to host matches include Jaffna, Trincomalee, Kandy, Galle, Matara, Ratnapura and Nawalapitiya.
The semi-finals and final of the tournament are set to be played from the 25th of February onwards.
The squads are yet to be released by the FFSL
Head Coaches of the respective teams:
- Northern Province – Rathnam Jasmin
- Eastern Province – Mohammed Roomy
- Central Province – Pakeer Ali
- Southern Province – Shirantha Kumara
- Uva Province – Mohammed Hamsa
- Rajarata Province – Devasagayam Rajamani
- Sabaragamuwa – Fazul Rahman
- Western Province – Sumith Walpola
Keep it logged on to ThePapare.com for all news and updates from the tournament.