1996 World Cup winning skipper Arjuna Ranatunga has been appointed as the new chairman of the National Sports Council.
Sports Minister Roshan Ranasinghe has appointed a 15-member National Sports Council headed by Ranatunga which is tasked with advising the minister to uplift the standards of the country’s sports sector.
- Schedule announced for Sri Lanka U19 tour of England
- Hasaranga, Chameera, Rajapaksa signed up as Marquee Players for ILT20
Making arrangements for a new sports act and national sports policy, setting up plans for future achievements, developing infrastructure facilities to make players professional, providing recommendations for the minister when selecting national squads, and setting up plans for the development of sports in schools are primary responsibilities of the newly appointed council.
The members of the council are as follows,
- Arjuna Ranatunga
- Lieutenant General H.L.V.M. Liyanage
- Air Marshall S.K. Pathirane
- Vice Admiral Nishantha Ulagetenna
- Amal Edirisooriya
- Major General Rajitha Ampemohotti
- Dr. Mayya Gunasekera
- Sriyani Kulawangsha
- Attorney-at-Law Ajith Pathirane
- Sunil Jayaweera
- Chrishantha Mendis
- Lasitha Gunaratne
- Nalinda Ilangakoon
- Sudath Chandrasekera
- Sujani Bogollagama