Defending Champions Nalanda College, Colombo retained the Olcott Challenge Trophy yesterday (29th November) beating Dharmaraja College, Kandy at the Galle International Cricket Stadium.
The 20th Sir Henry Steel Olcott Memorial Cricket Tournament kick-started on the 29th Friday with the 6-a-side tournament for present boys from the 8 participating leading Buddhist schools of the country. The 3-day tournament is hosted by the Cricket Foundation of Mahinda College this year in Galle. The tournament for the past cricketers is scheduled to conclude tomorrow (1st December).
- Mahinda College, Galle
- Ananda College, Colombo
- Dharmapala College, Pannipitiya
- Dharmaraja College, Kandy
- Dharmasoka College, Ambalangoda
- Maliyadeva College, Kurunegala
- Nalanda College, Colombo
- Rahula College, Matara
The 20th Annual “Sir Henry Steel Olcott Memorial Cricket Tournament” 2019 for the “Olcott Challenge……
Despite the initial plan of a round-robin group stage followed by a knock-out towards the end, the organizers had to transform the structure to a pure knock-out tournament due to the delay in start following heavy showers.
Champions in 2018, Nalanda College led by Sri Lanka U19 cap Avishka Perera beat Dharmasoka College and arch-rivals Ananda College on their way to the final while Dharmaraja College beat Rahula College and Dharmapala College in the first round match and the semifinal respectively.
- Nalanda beat Dharmasoka by 22 runs
- Dharmapala beat Maliyadeva by 1 run
- Ananda beat Mahinda by 12 runs
- Dharmaraja beat Rahula by 25 runs
- Nalanda beat Ananda by 2 runs
- Dharmaraja beat Dharmapala by 10 runs
Captain Avishka starred for Nalanda in the final as he remained unbeaten on 24 as his team chased down the target of 49 set by Dharmaraja in just 4 overs. He also picked up a wicket giving away just 6 runs in his over. He was adjudged Man of the Final and also Man of the Tournament.
Dharmaraja – 48/4 (5) Dulaj Bandara 17, Chethiya Ekanayaka 15*, Avishka Perera 1/6
Nalanda – 50/2 (4) Avishka Perera 24*, Dulaj Bandara 1/15
Nalanda beat Dharmaraja by 3 wickets
- Best Fielder – Isuru Dayananda (Dharmaraja)
- Best Bowler – Anuda Jithwara (Nalanda)
- Best Batsman – Yashitha Samararathne (Dharmaraja)
- Man of the Tournament – Avishka Perera (Nalanda)