As 7 teams eagerly wait to strip Kandy off their throne and stop them from making it 6 titles in-a-row, the dawn of a new club rugby season is finally here.
With just a day to go for the first match of the 2019/20 season, let’s get to know the additions, omissions and changes the new league will see.
Last season’s top moments
- Army surprised Kandy at Nittawela, breaking Kandy’s 7 year unbeaten record at home
- CH won all their 2nd Round Games (Super Round not included)
- Police emerged Plate Champions
- Kandy won the league for the 5th consecutive year
Big transfers this season
- Rizah Mubarak, Sandun Herath, Dinuk Amarasinghe and Sharo Fernando switched from Havelock SC to CR & FC
- Chamara Dabare and Dushmantha Priyadarshana moved to CH & FC from Havelocks SC whilst Naveen Henakankanamage jumped from CH to Havies
- Tharinda Ratwatte(CR), Kavindu Perera (CR), Buddhima Piyarathna (NSC) and Charles Praveen (AFSC) switched to Kandy SC
Read More: Fijians infiltrate the Dialog Rugby League
- The bottom four teams (Police SC, Army SC, Navy SC & Air Force SC) will be able to field their foreign players throughout the league (hopefully).
- The league will feature two extra weeks known as the ‘Super Round’ a move which was introduced last year – allowing the 3rd and 4th placed teams to have a shot at the title.
- A ‘Blue Card’ will be given to the referees which will be used to send off players suffering from a head injury
- The League will go on till the 6th OF APRIL! (Yes, it will clash with the schools’ league but who doesn’t like more rugby right?)
>> Watch Now – Foreign Infiltration? <<
- Danushka Ranjan (aka. Ranja): After facing an injury last year, Ranja has not fully recovered
- Richard Dharmapala (aka. Richaa): Kandy SC captain Richard faced a horrendous injury earlier this year at the Mercantile 7’s tournament and is yet to get back on track.
- Niroshan Fernando (aka. Niro): Last year’s Clifford Cup winning captain from Havelock SC, Niro, hung up his boots and migrated.
Team Havelock : The Pink Army – Havelock’s බලවේගය VLOG 2
To Do List
- Stay away from your boss every weekend from 3.40pm onwards
- Hide the TV remotes from your wives
- Take your girlfriends on Rugby Match dates
- Keep all your electronic devices logged onto www.thepapare.com/live
- Subscribe to ThePapare.com’s YouTube channel and follow the best Rugby Show in the country ‘What The Ruck’!
ThePapare.com is ready to bring you all the live action throughout the entire league so stay tuned!