Gateway & British triumph; Lyceum falls

International Schools Football U20 Championship (FUTC 2018)


Gateway Colombo and Kandy progressed comfortably at the cost of Lyceum Nugegoda and Colombo International School, while British School in Colombo out-battles Lyceum Wattala in the FUTC 2018 quarter-finals played at the Beddegana Football Complex.

The semi-finals will play host to a Gateway derby while the other semi-final is yet to be decided.

British School in Colombo v Lyceum Wattala

British School topped Group C getting 7 points in the group stage, while Lyceum Wattala finished second in Group B. A very even 60 minutes played out where neither team were able to break the deadlock as the first quarter-final of the FUTC 2018 was to be decided on penalties.

British were up first and Hayaki Ramanayake stepped up and calmly slotted it past the keeper. Humeid Mubarak successfully converted for Lyceum next. Muhamad Fawmi was the only other lad from Lyceum able to convert, while Benjamin Mcdowall, Luca Sapumohotti and Jacopo Zullo all converted to see British win 4-2 on penalties and progress through to the semis.

FUTC quarterfinalists decided!

The FUTC 2018 group stage has drawn to a close with the teams that…

Gateway Kandy v Colombo International School

The first half was quite the dull affair with CIS seemingly having the more chances, yet it was Ameen Kazni who broke the deadlock in favor of the boys from Kandy. Kazni added another less than 60 seconds later to end the first half 2-0 to Gateway.

Gateway continued the second half on the front foot before Saad Imthiyas joint the score sheet, as Gateway Kandy secured a spot in the semi-final with a 3-0 win.

Gateway Colombo v Lyceum Nugegoda

Both teams started off looking strong, it was Gateway however who had the first chance with a good header on goal, but Lyceum keeper Mihin Thilakarathne reacted quickly and made a good save tipping the ball just over the bar. The lads from Nugegoda defended poorly and Gateway capitalized when Binitha Chandrasena with a powerful strike found the back of the net to break the deadlock.

Lyceum got a great chance to respond  when they got a free-kick, but it was struck very poorly and Gateway broke on the counter and the LIS defense faltered yet again allowing Areeb Atheek to double Gateway’s advantage, ending the first half 2-0 to Gateway.

Drama unfolded in the 51st minute following a violent coming together between two opposition players with both teams getting involved. This saw both players booked and unfortunately for Lyceum’s Stephan Ramasamy, it was his second yellow which resulted in him being shown a red. Stephan was visibly upset as he exited the field with some unnecessary theatrics.

Gateway took advantage of the extra man scoring twice in two minutes with Nansika Kaggodaarachchi scoring one and Binitha adding his second of the game. The problems kept coming for Lyceum when a penalty was conceded due to a handball inside the box, and Binitha stepped up and slotted it into the bottom corner past Mihin who did not even bother to attempt a save, as Gateway won 5-0 to progress to the semis where they would meet their brothers from Kandy.

Royal Institute v Elizabeth Moir

Elizabeth Moir impressed early on attacking and creating a few good chances, but unable to get the telling touch at the end. Both teams attacked looking to get the first strike and it was RI after a very even half who broke the deadlock from a good strike inside the box. Moir were gifted an opportunity to equalize after a foul inside the RI box saw the referee point straight to the spot. The Moir player stepped up and smashed the ball into the back of the net, giving the keeper no chance as they equalized, ending the first half 1-1.

Moir dominated the early goings of the second half, with RI seeming a bit stunned as if not having expected such an attacking performance by their opponents after cruising through the group stage. Yet against the run of play, a good cut back pass into the box before being tapped into goal saw RI take the lead once again.

With 14 minutes left on the clock however, referees called a halt to play due to bad light, with the Beddegana Football Ground not having lights, it was not possible to go on. The referees deemed the remaining 14 minutes will be played the next day. Stay tuned with for an update on this match.

>>For more Football News Click Here<<