Sri Lanka will meet Zimbabwe in a 2-match Test series, becoming the first country to play an international fixture in Zimbabwe after their readmission to international cricket last year (2019). Let’s take a closer look at the T20I numbers between these two sides.
This Afro-Asian battle first took place in 1994 at Harare under the captaincy of Arjuna Ranatunga and Andy Flower. Unfortunately, the series was seriously disturbed by bad weather and all 3 Test matches ended as draws.
But when Zimbabwe came to the island nation for the first time, they received a hammering at the hands of Ranatunga’s men as they lost the series 2-0.
Unfortunately, this has become a one-sided competition over the past few years as Zimbabwe still search for their maiden Test triumph over Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka vs Zimbabwe overall Test record
- Played – 18
- Sri Lanka – 13
- Zimbabwe – 00
- Drawn – 05
Watch : Sri Lanka’s best Memories of the Decade 2010-2019
Recap of the last 5 Test series
Sri Lanka have completely dominated the last 5 Test series between the 2 countries and Zimbabwe have been hardly competitive thoroughout.
But the final Test in Sri Lanka was one of the best performances by a Zimbabwe Test team in the recent past as they came close to their first victory against the hosts only to be denied by Asela Gunaratne and Niroshan Dickwella’s valiant effort in 4th innings
|1999||Zimbabwe||Sri Lanka||1-0 (3)|
|2001/02||Sri Lanka||Sri Lanka||3-0 (3)|
|2004||Zimbabwe||Sri Lanka||2-0 (2)|
|2016||Zimbabwe||Sri Lanka||2-0 (2)|
|2017||Sri Lanka||Sri Lanka||1-0 (1)|
Watch : Sri Lanka’s Team of the Decade 2010-2019
Since their first Test in Zimbabwe in 1994, Sri Lanka have played 10 Test matches in Zimbabwe and managed to remain unbeaten while winning 5 games. Last time Sri Lanka played in the African nation, they whitewashed the Chevrons 2-0 under the captaincy of Rangana Herath.
Sri Lanka vs Zimbabwe head to head in Zimbabwe
- Played – 10
- Sri Lanka – 05
- Zimbabwe – 00
- Drawn – 05
Sri Lanka’s Test record in Harare
- Played – 7
- Won – 4
- Lost – 0
- Drawn – 3
Read: Crazy triumphs, Whitewashes and Retirements – Sri Lanka Cricket Recap 2019
- Highest team total – 713/3d (Sri Lanka at Bulawayo, 2004)
- Highest team total (for Zim) – 462/9d (at Bulawayo, 1994)
- Lowest team total – 79/10 (Zimbabwe at Galle, 2002)
- Lowest team total (for SL) – 218/10 (at Bulawayo, 1994)
- Most runs – Marvan Atapattu (1145 runs – Avg. 95.41)
- Most runs (for Zim) – Andy Flower (778 runs – Avg. 39.90)
- Highest individual score – Kumar Sangakkara (270 at Bulawayo, 2004)
- Highest individual score (for Zim) – Dave Houghton (266 at Bulawayo, 1994)
- Most wickets – Muttiah Muralitharan (87 wickets – Avg. 16.86)
- Most wickets (for Zim) – Heath Streak (33 wickets – Avg. 26.45)
- Best bowling – Muttiah Muralitharan (9/51 at Kandy, 2002)
- Best bowling (for Zim) – Paul Strang (5/106 at RPS, 1996)