Seven Sri Lankan athletes are set to participate at the World Athletics U20 Championships, also known as the World Junior Championships, which will be held from 17th to 22nd August 2021 at the Nyayo Sports Complex in Nairobi, Kenya, following its postponement last year.
The Championships are open for athletes who qualify in the International Junior level.
The following athletes have been selected to represent Sri Lanka at the Championships.
- Isuru Kaushalya Bans Abeywardena (Ananda Sasthralaya, Matugama) – 400m & 4 x 400m Mixed Relay
- U.B.M.R.D. Bandara (Wekada MV) – 4 x 400m Mixed Relay
- H.H.R.S. Jayasundara (Sir John Kotalawala MV) – 4 x 400m Mixed Relay
- K. Shanika Lakshani (Holy Cross College, Gampaha) – 800m
- D.M.T.D. Karunaratne (A. Rathnayake MV, Walala) – 800m & 4 x 400m Mixed Relay
- B.I. Medhani Jayamanna (Lumbini College) – 100m & 200m
- B. Sayuri Lakshima Mendis (Holy Cross College, Gampaha) – 4 x 400m Mixed Relay
The following team of officials will accompany the Sri Lankan team to Nairobi:
Covid Liaison Officer
- Dr. Dammika Senanayake
- Mr. Jagath Gnanasiri Silva
- Mr Umanga Surendra
- Mr. Danushka R. Munasinghe
- Mrs. Sunethra Karunanayake (Lady Chaperone)
The Sri Lankan team is scheduled to leave for Kenya on 15th August 2021. The event will be closed to the General audience due to the current pandemic situation.
Keep it logged onto www.thepapare.com/athletics to follow Team Sri Lanka at the World Athletics U20 Championships.