Sharks secured the second win


The Hambanthota Sharks recorded a nail-biting 20 (3T 1C 1P ) -17 (3T 1 C) win in a closely contested game against the Sri Lanka Air Force in the Dialog Club League game worked off at the Air Force Grounds Ratmalana Sunday.

A two minutes silence was observed as a mark of respect to the Airmen who died in Friday’s air crash.

From the whistle, the Airmen were on the game, missing an easy penalty three minutes to the game. The Sharks bounced back in the 9thminute with a power run by flanker  Stephen Sitveri to the Air Force 22 meter line.  From a scrum in the Air Force 22 meter line Sharks Center Wagawulagi Emori ran across beating the Airmen’s defence to draw first blood and score under the post while Amjad Buksh had an easy conversation to take the lead 7- 0.

The game swung from side to side with territorial kicking taking pride of place. The Sharks extended their lead while the Airmen were penalized  in their own half in a ruck. Amjad Buksh made no mistakes to fire across a penalty  to extend the lead  in the15th minute (10-00)

In the sixteenth minute, the  Air Force Tight Head Forward Ranuka  Madagedera ran a good 25 meters into the Sharks half but failed to release the ball making  a good effort  go in vain with striking distance to reduce the gap. The Air Force were pressurizing  their opponents but  failed and  fumbled in crucial moments and in the 25th minute, the  Airforce  full-back Charith Senavirathna missed a penalty  by kicking the ball to the right of the post.

Air Force Centre Vilikesa Koilage ran a brilliant 25 meters to the left flank to touch down. Full back Charith failed to add on points as the Air Force trailed 05-10. A superb break by Sharks flanker Sitveri saw him running across to the right of the Air force defence and off loading the ball to the speedy winger Sachintha Lahiru who touched down on the right flank.  Amjad Buksh missed the conversion Sharks lead (15-5)

In the 38th minute the Air force Prop Saumya Silva barged over to score while Charith converted to bring the score to 15-12 to the Sharks . Air force failing to keep to expectation, gave an opportunity to the Sharks to further extend their lead with a try by Sachintha Lahiru on the far left side with a 15 meter dash to the line

Half time Sharks  20 (3T 1C 1P ) vs  Air Force -12 (2T 1 C)

In the start of the second half, the Air Force came out a much improved outfit who dominated nearly the entire half but failed at crucial moments while lacking support and continuous play. 

In the 58th minute prop Ranuka Madagedera scored on the left side of the post to reduce the gap to 3 points. Sharks lead 20 -17 with 20 minutes of play was still remaining.

The Air force attacked the opponents on many occasions but failed to score. The last few minutes drew in a tensed passage where the Air men were on the Sharks line but failed once again to release the ball. At the final whistle Sharks came out victorious with 20-17.

Full time Sharks  20 (3T 1C 1P ) vs  Air Force -17 (3T 1 C)

Referee : D.Nimal

ThePapare player of the match Wagawulagi Emori (Sharks)