The Sugathadasa Stadium was the showcase to another set of action-packed Colombo Super League basketball ‘A’ division matches last evening, as the Colombo Bulls ‘A’ took on the Old Bens and Police SC ‘A’ took on Army ‘A’

Colombo Bulls ‘A’ vs Old Bens

Colombo Bulls took honours against Old Bens with a score line of 68-48 by dominating the court throughout the 40 minutes, as the Old Bens struggled to outscore the Bulls even in a single quarter of the game. Chadithya Hettiarachchi was the main offensive player for the Colombo Bulls securing 21 points during the course of the match, while Mohomed Suhaim scored 9 points for the Old Bens.

The Bulls took a marginal lead in the first 10 minutes of the game benefitting off a couple shots from downtown. They maintained the same momentum as they settled into the game during the second quarter dominating the offence and securing an 11-point lead, taking best use of their opportunities near the line. While the Old Bens scored through free shots they failed to successfully complete their offensive plays resulting in them trailing behind the Bulls. As the game progressed, the Bulls maintained the deficit with a strong defence while the Old Bens failed to turn the tables before the final buzzer.

Full-time: Colombo Bulls- 68 Old Bens-48

Police SC ‘A’ vs Army ‘A’

The second game of the day went in favour of the Army team in a close call, winning by a mere point, with a final score line of 64-63. E. Venujan was the highest point scorer for the Police team securing 19 points for his team, while the Army skipper Suraj Balasooriya was the main offensive player for his team securing 15 points.

The Army team managed to secure the lead in the first quarter thanks to Dhammika Perera and Suraj knocking down 3 pointers but they failed to hold on to it for long as the Police team had turned the tables and the Army team was trailing by 01 going into half-time. The Police team tightened their defence, only allowing Army to score 8 points during the third quarter, maintaining control of the game by increasing their lead to 8 points. During the final quarter of the game, the Army team switched to a more aggressive defence which resulted in the Police team gaining a few opportunities near the line but it was what the Army team needed to turn the tables on the Police and secure victory with the slim margin of 01 point in the nick of time.

Full-time: Police SC -63 Army- 64