Final call on Schools Rugby to be taken on Friday

Singer Schools Rugby League 2019


A final decision on the dates for the Singer Schools Rugby League will reportedly be taken tomorrow(24th) following a meeting between the Sri Lanka Schools Rugby Football Association(SLSRFA) and the Principals of the respective schools, together with the Ministers of Sport and Education.

Read more: Singer Schools Rugby League POSTPONED again!

The league was put on hold following the Easter Sunday attacks, that saw a series of bombs go off in Colombo, Negombo and Batticaloa. The Schools Association seemingly came to a decision to go ahead with the League from the 31st of May – albeit with tight security and games only being held at 2 central venues. But following protests from certain schools, the league was once again postponed to September.

Full timeline of events:

  • 20th April – The Singer Schools Rugby League restarts for the 2nd round
  • 21st April – The Singer Schools Rugby League postponed indefinitely after the Easter Sunday attacks
  • 7th May – SLSRFA forwards proposal to the Ministry of defence for recommencement of League
  • 10th May – Minister of Sports Harin Fernando offers Sugathasada Stadium for the matches
  • 15th May – SLSRFA reschedules fixtures for the second round with games to be played at Sugathadasa Stadium and Bogambora
  • 20th May – SLSRFA, following its meeting, postpones the league to September temporarily, proposing the matter be taken up with the Minister of Education and the Minister of Sports on Friday 24th.

Read more:2nd Round ready to kick off

Owing to the concerns raised by several schools who are a part of the Singer Schools Rugby League, a decision was not taken by the SLSRFA on 20th. Therefore, the final call on the tournament will be taken tomorrow (24th) when they meet with the principals of the respective schools and the Minister of Education Akila Viraj Kariyawasam and the Minister of Sports Harin Fernando.

Read more:Dates released for 75th Bradby

Following the meeting, it will be decided if the tournament is to go ahead according to suggested dates, with kick off expected on the 31st of May 2019 or whether the tournament will be postponed to September to be played after the Advanced level examinations.

“We met on Monday and we could not come to a conclusion with the masters-in-charge of the schools and therefore we agreed to meet on Friday with the principals” added Ranjith Chandrasekara, president of the SLSRFA.

“The 24th meeting will be the final date where a decision will be taken and I hope that we can resume according to plan”, he concluded.