Two-time Commonwealth games medalist Chinthana Geethal Vidanage will be the flag bearer and lead the 80-member Sri Lankan contingent at the 21st Commonwealth Games. The games will be held from the 4th to 15th of April in Gold Coast Australia.
Weightlifter Vidanage is the most experienced member included in the contingent, having won Gold in the 62Kg weight category in the 2006 games while he managed to win a Silver medal in the 2010 edition in India. Sri Lanka will be represented in 15 different sports disciplines at the games in Australia which will include Weightlifting, Wrestling, Table Tennis, Squash, Shooting, Gymnastics, Cycling, Boxing, Beach Volleyball, Badminton, Diving, Swimming, Rugby 7s and Athletics.
It is reported that Sri Lanka Rugby (SLR) has written to the National Olympic Committee (NOC) to switch out a few players due to injury concerns but will have to await confirmation from the organizers in Gold Coast in order to make the changes to their squad.
Track and Field, who have brought the most number of medals to the motherland at the commonwealth competition were only given a quota of 12 members initially but was later the number was increased to 13 with the addition of Rumeshika Ratnayake. Rumeshika, who is currently taking part in a training program in Australia deservedly earned the call-up to the squad on the back of a few impressive performances in the land down under.
Full Sri Lankan squad for 21st Commonwealth Games, Gold Coast Australia
Weightlifting – Chathuranga Lakmal, Thilanka Palangasinghe, Chathuranga Dissanayake, Chinthana Vidanage, Shanaka Peters, Saman Abeywickrama, Ushan Charuka, Hansani Gomes, Chamari Warnakulasuriya, Nadeeshani Rajapakshe, Priyanthi Balage
- Team Manager: Thamel Warnakulasuriya, Head Coach: R Wickremasinghe, Assistant Coach: Navindhra Dayan, Masseuse: Upul Jayathilaka
Wrestling – Divoshan Fernando, Chanaka Fernando, Dilhani Weerabahu
- Team Manager: Prageeth Priyankara, Coach: Jagath Priyantha
Table Tennis – Udaya Ranasinghe, Rohan Sirisena, Nirmala Bandara Jayasingha, Madurangi Dharshika, Hansani Kapugeekiyana, Erandi Warusawithana
- Team Manager: Chathura Jayendra, Coach: Madushanka Wickremasinghe
Squash – Ravindu Laksiri, Mihiliya Methsarani
Shooting – Suranga Fernando, Upul Wijeratne, Sanduni Perera
- Manager: Chinthaka Edirisinghe
Gymnastics -Samanali Gunathilaka, Amaya Kalukottege, Kaushini Gunasinghe Gamage
- Coach: Tharanga Welandage
Cycling-Avishka Dilnuwan and Sandun Kumara
- Team Manager: Clement Ranasinghe, Coach: Upali Ratnayake
Boxing– Ranjeewa Bandara, Sandaruwan Ranasinghe, Dushan Saparamadu, Anusha Dilrukshi, Dulani Jayasinghe, Hansika Kasturiarachchi
- Coach: Dian Gomes, Harsha Kumara and Aravinda Tissera
Beach Volleyball – Asanka Pradeep Kumara and Malintha Yapa
- Coach: Mahesh Perera
Badminton– Buwaneka Dullewa, Dinuka Karunaratne, Niluka Karunaratne, Sachin Dias, Thilini Hendahewa, Kavidi Sirimannege, Hasini Ambalangodage, Madushika Dilrukshi
- Team Manager: Duminda Gamage and Nishantha Aluthge, Coaches: Dhanesh Malliyawadu, Tony Wahyudi
Swimming & Diving- Cherantha de Silva, Matthew Abeysinghe, Akalanka Peiris, Kyle Abeysinghe, Vinoli Kaluarachchi, Dilrukshi Perera, Lakshini de Silva, Thejana Peiris
- Team Manager: Chanaka Hasantha, Coaches: Julian Bolling and Buddi Abeysinghe (Swimming); Chanaka Duminda (Diving)
Rugby Sevens- Sudharshana Muthuthantri (Capt), Danushka Dyan, Rehan Silva, Omalka Gunaratne, Jeson Dissanayaka, Srinath Sooriyabandara, Tharinda Ratwatte, Kavindu Perera, Anurudha Wilwara, Richard Dharmapala, Dhanushka Ranjan, Naveen Heenakankanmge
Stand by: Hirantha Perera, Reza Rafaideen, Sudam Suriyarachchi, Buddima Priyaratne
- Director High Performance: Inthisham Marikar, Coach: Peter Woods, Trainer: Nicolas Groube
Athletics – Manjula Kumara, Sampath Ranasinghe, Suranjaya de Silva, Himasha Eshan, Shehan Ambepitiya, Lakshitha Wickremasinghe, Janaka Wimalasiri, W Nimali, Gayanthika Thushari, Dilhani Lekamge, Hiruni Wijeratne, Rumeshika Rathnayaka
- Team Manager: Nimalsiri Hewa Witanage, Coaches: Sunil Gunawardena, Miranda Ramirez Luis, Sajith Jayalal, Kingsley Gunathilaka