CR & FC stomp past Soldiers in battle of redemption


CR & FC managed to start off the 2nd round of the Dialog Rugby League on a high note as they defeated Army SC 24 points to 17 at Havelock Park earlier today.

The game started off in windy conditions as Army created momentum right from the start after Tarinda Ratwatte’s kick-off found touch. Both teams showed great urgency in the first ten minutes of the game till Army conceded a penalty in the eighth minute which Ratwatte converted into points drawing first blood for CR.

The three point lead was taken over in seconds when Vinod Kumar scored the first try of the game for the Soldiers after picking the ball right from the restart and accelerating his way over the try line. Gayan Salinda made no mistake in adding the extra two. (07 – 03)

The next ten minutes saw CR charging inside the Soldiers’ territory, but the Army defence forced the boys from Longdon place to make a few errors. While CR failed to capitalize on their opportunities, the Soldiers took the upper hand, extending their lead by another three points in the 28th minute. (10 – 03)

Like a nightmare in the day for Army, the experienced scrum-half and playmaker Mohommed Rizvi was red carded in the 33rd minute after being spotted stomping on his opponent at the breakdown. Making maximum use of the numerical advantage, CR scored their first try of the game at the stroke of half-time as Omalka Gunarathna broke his way through the Army defensive line to end up over the try line. Tarinda Ratwatte made no mistake as he added the extra two, making the scores level at lemons.

Half Time – CR 10 – 10 Army

The second half action began amidst a lot of drama. However, winning a scrum inside the Army 5 meter line – the reds scored their second try in the 49th minute after Supun Warnakulasuriya burst his way over the line after picking up the ball. Ratwatte bisected the posts once again, extending their lead by another seven points. (17 – 10)

The game slowly started slipping away from the Soldiers, as they leaked penalties, dropped balls and made unforced errors which eventually helped the CR skipper Kavindu Perera score a fabulous winger’s try, ten minutes later. He beat four players and stepped his way through to score under the post. Ratwatte was spot on once again as he made his fourth successful kick which put CR in a comfortable lead. (24 – 10)

Not giving up, the Soldiers counter attacked in the 77th minute which saw Sameera Bulathsinghala over the line, after a great passage of play by the back line of Army. Gayan Salinda made no mistake with his kick as he added the extra two. It was a little too late though, as CR had possession in the dying minutes. Tarinda Ratwatte kicked the ball out to touch, ending the game in favour of the boys from Longdon Place. CR redeemed themselves after a hard fought battle, and unfortunately for Army the numerical advantage cost them more than they expected.

Full Time : CR & FC 24 (3T, 1P, 3C)  – 17 (2T, 2C,1P) Army SC’s Player of the Match:  Charana Chamikara

Points Breakdown – CR & FC
TriesOmalka Gunarathana, Supun Warnakulasuriya, Kavindu Perera
Conversions : Tharinda Ratwatte (3)
Penalties : Tharinda Ratwatte (1)

Points Breakdown – ArmySC
Tries : Vinod Kumar, Sameera Bulathsinghala
Conversions : Gayan Salinda (2)
Penalties : Gayan Salinda (1)
Bookings : Mohommed Azmi