Despite Bangladesh being able to avoid the follow on, Sri Lanka took firm control of the 1st Test between the two teams at the Galle International Stadium earlier today. Rain washed off nearly the entire post-tea session but by then Sri Lanka had managed to dismiss the Bangladeshis for 312, earning a 182 run lead.

Overnight batsman Mushfiqur Rahim and teenager Mehedi Hasan put up steely resistance in the post lunch session after Bangladesh were guilty of yet again squandering a solid start to their innings. The pair put on 106 for the 7th wicket against a Sri Lankan bowling attack that may have lacked some fire in the hour after the lunch break.

Dilruwan Perera was kept out of the attack for much of the day but his effect was immediate once he was brought on as he trapped Hasan plumb in front in just his 3rd over of the day. He then did the same to Taskin Ahamed with a ball that just skidded straight through off the track. Umpire Marais Erasmus declined the hosts’ appeal but a well thought out review showed that the ball was in fact crashing into the center of the leg-stump, giving Perera 2 off 2.

Rahim tried to farm the strike but left a gap between bat and pad through which Rangana Herath snuck a straight one; Rahim top scored with 85.

The clouds began to gather at the fall of Rahim’s wicket and soon an early tea was taken with play being halted due to bad light.

Sri Lanka needed just 2 deliveries to wrap things up after the break as Kusal Mendis took a freakish catch at short leg to dismiss Mustafizur Rahman for 4.

Photos: Sri Lanka v Bangladesh 1st Test – Day 3

Photos of the Sri Lanka v Bangladesh 1st Test – Day 3

The Sri Lankan openers Upul Tharanga and Dimuth Karunaratne walked in for the hosts’ 2nd innings, but were sent right back by the umpires as the light had deteriorated once again. The rains soon followed and an hour long shower meant that play could not be resumed for the day.

Earlier in the day, Soumaya Sarkar fell to a loose shot, top edging a Suranga Lakmal short ball to the man at fine leg. Lakmal bowled an impressive spell 1st up as he and opening partner for the day Lakshan Sandakan kept a lid on things in the 1st hour of play. Having being given the responsibility of starting off proceedings on day 3, Sandakan bowled a tight line and was fortunate to pick up the wicket of Shaqib Al-Hasan who nicked a ball down the leg-side; Niroshan Dickwella did well once again behind the stumps.

The end of the 1st hour’s play saw the introduction of Lahiru Kumara, who once again tested the Bangladeshis with the short ball. His raw pace helped him through the defenses of Mahmudullah, whose lack of footwork saw the ball crash into the stumps.

Rangana Herath himself came on at the other end and soon had Liton Das fishing outside the off stump; he nicked the ball through to Asela Gunaratne at slip to give Sri Lanka their 4th and final wicket of the session.

Play is scheduled to begin at 9.45 am tomorrow.