After a 10-year break, Test Cricket will be back in Pakistan as Sri Lanka will face the hosts in a 2-match Test series which will carry 120 points in the ICC World Test Championship. Let’s take a closer look at the Test numbers between these two sides.
The Sri Lanka vs Pakistan Test rivalry started in 1982 when the Test-infant Sri Lanka was invited to play their first away Test in Karachi by the Pakistan Cricket Board. That was Sri Lanka’s 2nd ever Test match after being awarded the Test in 1981. The teams were led by Javed Miandad and Bandula Warnapura and the 3-match Test series was won by the hosts 2-0.
Sri Lanka had to wait another 4 years to taste a Test victory against Pakistan as they completed the historic triumph at CCC ground, defeating Pakistan by 8 wickets thanks to the pace trio; Kosala Kuruppuarachchi, Ravi Ratnayaka and Asantha de Mel.
Pakistan vs Sri Lanka Head to Head Test Record
- Played – 53
- Sri Lanka – 16
- Pakistan – 19
- Drawn – 18
Recap of the last decade
The last decade witnessed some of the best Test matches between Sri Lanka and Pakistan. Sri Lanka missed an opportunity in 2013 to record a rare series win in the UAE, losing the last Test match is Sharjah when Pakistan chased 302 in 57.3 overs.
Sri Lanka corrected their mistake next time in 2017 whitewashing Pakistan 2-0 thanks to Rangana Herath’s magical spells.
|2012||Sri Lanka||Sri Lanka||1-0 (3)|
|2014||Sri Lanka||Sri Lanka||2-0 (2)|
|2015||Sri Lanka||Pakistan||2-1 (3)|
|2017||UAE||Sri Lanka||2-0 (2)|
Since their first Test in Pakistan in 1982, Sri Lanka have played 21 Tests and managed to win 6 Tests there. Sri Lanka’s first win in Pakistan was recorded in Faisalabad in 1995 courtesy of Hashan Thilakaratne and Aravinda de Silva’s centuries and a Murali-Vaas masterclass.
Sri Lanka’s last Test win in Pakistan witnessed one of the greatest knocks in Test Cricket ever by non-other than Sanath Jayasuriya when he made a blistering 253 in 2004 at Faisalabad.
Pakistan vs Sri Lanka Head to Head Test record in Pakistan
- Played – 21
- Sri Lanka – 6
- Pakistan – 8
- Draw – 7
Sri Lanka have fond memories in Rawalpindi, as the only Test match played between the two rivals ended in a thrilling win for Sri Lanka as Romesh Kaluwitharana and Arjuna Ranatunga (with an injured left thumb) carried Sri Lanka to a 2-wicket win.
Sri Lanka’s overall Test record in Rawalpindi
- Played – 1
- Won – 1
- Lost – 0
- Drawn – 0
The visitors are yet to win a Test match at the Karachi Cricket ground. In the last Test in Karachi in 2009, Mahela Jayawardene and Thilan Samaraweera made the record for the highest 4th wicket partnership in Test cricket (437 runs). This record was broken in 2015 by Adam Voges and Shaun Marsh at Hobart.
Sri Lanka’s overall Test record at the Karachi
- Played – 5
- Won – 0
- Lost – 4
- Drawn – 1
- Highest team total – 765/6d (Pakistan at Karachi, 2009)
- Highest team total (for SL) – 644/7d (at Karachi, 2009)
- Lowest team total – 71 all out (Sri Lanka at Kandy, 1994)
- Lowest team total (for Pak) – 90 all out (at PSC, 2009)
- Most runs – Kumar Sangakkara (2911 runs in 45 innings) (Avg. 74.64)
- Most runs in Pakistan – Sanath Jayasuriya (894 runs in 16 innings) (Avg. 56.60)
- Highest individual score – Younis Khan (313 at Karachi, 2009)
- Highest individual score (for SL) – Sanath Jayasuriya (253 at Faisalabad, 2004)
- Most wickets – Rangana Herath (106 wickets in 40 innings) (Avg. 28.07)
- Most wickets in Pakistan – Imran Khan (31 wickets in 8 innings) (Avg. 13.00)
- Best bowling – Rangana Herath (9 for 127 at SSC, 2014)
- Best bowling (for Pak) – Imran Khan (8 for 58 at Lahore, 1982)