Isipathana College overcame Wesley College 29-00 in what was a one-sided final in the grand finale to claim the Cup Championship of the U16 Ten’s tournament. D.S. Senanayake, Science College and Piliyandala Central secured the Plate, Bowl and Shield segments respectively.
Many favorites crashed out early after being handed thumping defeats, in the two-day tournament played out at the Pallekalle and Bogambara Stadiums in Kandy.
The two best teams in the tournament, Wesley College and Isipathana College worked their way up the ladder in commanding fashion being unbeaten along the way crashing other teams without much difficulty.
Isipathana got the upper hand in the first half after some brilliant running rugby and through their forwards who did the basics right. Isipathana were lethal at the breakdown as well securing as many turn-overs throughout the game.
Half Time: Isipathana 14 (2T 2C) – 00 Wesley
Wesley started the second half in terrible fashion with a couple of knock-ons. Isipathana capitalizing on the mistakes scored three more tries in quick succession to drub Wesley in more sorrow. The defending champions had no answer to the Pathana onslaught as the referee brought the game to an end.
Full Time: Isipathana 29 (5T 2C) – 00 Wesley
Earlier in the day Wesley, Dharmaraja, Isipathana and St. Joseph’s turned up on top in their quarter final matches. The Wesley – Trinity clash turned out to be a mouth-watering cliffhanger as Wesley’s prop Hafiz Thabeeth sealed victory in extra time barging over the whitewash. St. Joseph’s went on their merry way against a hapless Royal team while Isipathana and Dharmaraja thumped D.S. Senanayake and the Peterites convincingly booking their spots in the semis.
Cup Quarter Finals:
- QF 1 – Trinity College 07-14 Wesley College
- QF 2 – Royal College 00-14 St. Joseph’s College
- QF 3 – Isipathana College 12-00 D.S.Senanayake College
- QF 4 – Dharmaraja College 21-17 St. Peter’s College
Later in the day Isipathana got the better of Dharmaraja 17-07 in what was an exciting contest in the first semifinal. Wesley and Joes battled it for almost 15mins before Wesley broke the hearts of the Josephians in injury time 05-nil.
- Wesley College 05-00 St.Joseph’s College
- Isipathana College 17-07 Dharmaraja College
The losers of the Cup Quarter finals next met in the Plate Semifinals with D.S Senanayake emerging victorious in the final against Trinity 12-0 later in the final. D.S. Senanayake got the better of St. Peter’s 10-05 in the first plate semi-final as Trinity defeated their arch rivals, Royal College 05-00 in what was an exciting battle that possibly could have had plenty more tries.
- Plate Final – D.S. Senanayake 12-00 Trinity
- Royal College 00-05 Trinity College
- St. Peter’s College 00-12 D.S. Senanayake
In the bowl segment St. Anthony’s, Science, Sumangala and Lumbini emerged victorious in the quarter-finals after having ended up as the group runners-up yesterday.
- QF 1 – Vidyartha College 00-19 St.Anthony’s College
- QF 2 – Zahira College 07-14 St. Lumbini College
- QF 3 – Sri Sumangala College 17-05 St.Sylvester’s College
- QF 4 – Science College 20-0 Thurstan College
Antonians drew against Lumbini in extra time too as the game went to a penalty try-out, the Lumbini middle pod kicker converted his kick while the rest of the five kickers failed. Science clearly remained dominant in what was an easy game for them against Sumangala.
- St.Anthony’s College 05-08 Lumbini College
- Sri Sumangala College 00-24 Science College
However, in the end Science overcame Lumbini College 43-05 to win the Bowl in this year’s tournament and deservingly so as well for their efforts.
- Science College 43-05 Lumbini College
The Shield Championship was won by Piliyandala Central defeating Maliyadeva College in the final 10-0. Early in the semis Piliyandala defeated Mahanama 5-12 after being tied up till the last minute of the game. Maliyadeva caused some upsets defeating Kingswood College and Lalith Athulathmudali with scores of 15-07 and 07-05.
- Piliyandala Central 10-0 Maliyadeva College
- Mahanama College 05-12 Piliyandala Central
- Maliyadeva College 05-10 Lalith Athulathmudali
The shield quarter-finals panned out as follows.
Shield Quarter Finals
- QF 1 – Mahanama College 05-00 St.Benedict’s College
- QF 2 – Piliyandala Central 17-00 St.Aloysius College
- QF 3 – Maliyadeva College 15-07 Kingswood College
- QF 4 – Ananda College 05-10 Lalith Athulathmudali MV