The 35th edition of the Novices Mercantile Badminton Championship was held from the 18th to the 25th March at the MBA Head Quarters & GT Jayasuriya Court Complex. The tournament was once again proudly hosted by the Mercantile Badminton Association.
Sri Lanka Badminton Association has named an 8-member squad to take on Gold Coast Australia at the 2018 Commonwealth…
At the end of 7 successful days of scintillating racket play, the tournament paved the way for veterans and professionals alike to come together and battle it out for silverware. With Mr. Chandana Nilantha taking the reigns as the match referee for the tournament, over 25 teams geared up for victory.
The Men’s Plate championship was claimed by Tharindu Ranathunga of Hirdaramani after defeating D M G Jayasinghe of Sri Lankan Airlines in a tightly contested three setter 12/21, 21/16, 21/19. The Women’s Plate title was a 21/12, 21/10 win for Punsara Jayalath of NDB Bank over Taanya Sinhari of Standard Chartered Bank.
The Mercantile Badminton Association (MBA) recently held its Annual General Meeting in its continuing effort to improve…
The Masters category saw Colombo Dockyard mark its territory winning both the singles and doubles. P A S N Wijegunawardene won over Sanadanam Shanker of Eskimo Fashions in the singles (21/15, 21/16) while Wijegunawardene teamed up with N. P Perera to win the doubles over Mahinda Rathnasuriya and S U N Fernando of Singer Sri Lanka PLC (21/13, 21/4)
Below are the full results of the events
- Men’s Plate Singles – Tharindu Ranathunga (Hidaramani) 12/21, 21/16, 21/19 D M G Jayasinghe (Srilankans Airline Ltd)
- Women’s Plate Singles – Punsara Jayalath (NDB bank) 21/12, 21/10 Tanya Sinhaari (Standard Charted Bank)
- Masters (Doubles) – P A S M Wijegunawardena & N D P Perera (Dockyard) 21/13, 21/4 C D Mahinda Rathnasuriya & S U N Fernando (Singer Sri Lanka PLC)
- Masters (Single) – P A S N Wijegunawardena (Colombo Dockyard PLC) 21/15, 21/16 Sanadanam Shanker (Eskimo Fashion)
- Veterans Mixed Doubles – Kasun Pegera & Anoja Senanayake (American & EFIRD Lanka and MDS Enterprises (Pvt.) ltd 21/18, 21/16 Daminda De Silva & H D L Darshana Disanayake (Seylan Bank PLC. & John keels)
- Men’s Veteran Single – Daminda De Silva (Seylan Bank) 21/10, 21/17 Shalika de Silva (Carsons pvt. ltd)
- Men’s Over 35 Doubles – Madura Jayasekara & Vijitha Sanjaya (Vallibel Finance & Commercial Credit & Finance PLC.) 22/20, 21/10 D M I Jayasinghe & Nalin Janaka (Srilankan Airline & Douglas & sons (Pvt.) ltd)
- Men’s over 35 Single – D M I Jayasinhe (Sri Lanakan air lines Ltd) 21/17, 21/16 Nalin Janaka (Douglas & sons (Pvt.)Ltd
- Mixed Doubles – Amith Madusanka & Hasini Perera (MAS Holdings & Akbar Brothers) 22/20, 15/21, 21/17 Rukshan Pathirana & Lakmani Hansani (McLarenss Holdings)
- Women’s Doubles – Sheron Kitchilan & Achini Herath (MIT) 21/18, 21/18 Soraya Miskiy & Nimeni Gunasekara (HSBC)
- Men’s Doubles – Suranjan Rathwatte & David Gautham (NDB) 20/22, 21/16, 21/19 Dilanka Priyamal & Menuka Chathuranga (Janashakthi Insurance PLC)
- Women’s Single – Lakmini Jayasinghe (McLarens Holdings) 21/15, 21/14 Hasini Perera (Akbar Brother)
- Men’s Single – Rukshan Pathirana (McLarens Holdings) 21/18, 15/21, 21/19 Ovin Rathnasekara (McLarens Holding)
|Women’s Doubles||Sheron Kitchilan & Achini Herath ( MIT )||Soraya Miskiy & Nimeni Gunasekara ( HSBC)||21/18, 21/18|