After a victorious Test series, Sri Lanka were defeated by visitors South Africa in the shorter format. The only T20 between the two sides will take place on 14 August 2018 at the RPS. Let’s take a closer look at the T20 numbers between Sri Lanka and South Africa.
It was a mere 6 years ago that these two sides first played a T20. During the 2012 T20 World Cup, at Hambantota, South Africa won by 32 runs in a rain impeded game. Reduced to only 7 overs, South Africa smashed 78/4. Skipper ABD was on song making a brutal 30 off just 13 deliveries. The hosts managed only 46 runs in their 7 overs.
After two more encounters, the first win for Sri Lanka came in the following year at Hambantota. Under Dinesh Chandimal’s captaincy, Sri Lanka recorded a 6 wicket win, chasing 163. TM Dilshan top scored with an unbeaten 74 off 51 balls.
The last time these two sides met was at Cape Town in 2017 during Sri Lanka’s tour of South Africa. Sri Lank won that encounter by 5 wickets and the 3-match series, 2-1.
Sri Lanka vs South Africa Head to Head T20 Record –
- Played – 9
- Sri Lanka – 4
- South Africa – 5
Recap of the last decade
|2013||Sri Lanka||South Africa||2-1|
|2016/17||South Africa||Sri Lanka||2-1|
In the Lion’s Den
Sri Lanka has hosted South Africa in 4 T20s on home soil.
Sri Lanka vs South Africa Head to Head T20 Record in Sri Lanka –
- Played – 4
- Sri Lanka – 1
- South Africa – 3
Breaking the RPS hoodoo
One of the most successful ODI venues for Sri Lanka, the RPS in Colombo has not narrated the same story when it comes to the shortest format in cricket. They have lost 15 T20s, including the ICC World T20 World Cup final in 2012. South Africa won the only T20 they played against Sri Lanka in the year 2013 by 12 runs.
Sri Lanka’s T20 Record at the RPS –
- Played – 18
- Won – 3
- Lost – 15
- Highest team total – 170/5 (Sri Lanka at Cape Town, 2017)
- Highest team total for South Africa – 169/5 (at Cape Town, 2017)
- Lowest team total – 103/9 (Sri Lanka at RPS, 2013)
- Lowest team total for South Africa – 113 all out (at Johannesburg, 2017)
- Most runs – J.P. Duminy (183 runs in 5 innings) (Avg. 61.00)
- Most runs (for SL) – Niroshan Dickwella (133 runs in 3 innings) (Avg. 44.33)
- Highest individual score – Faf du Plessis (85 at Hambantota, 2013)
- Highest individual score for Sri Lanka – T.M.Dilshan (74* at Hambantota, 2013)
- Most wickets – Imran Tahir (13 wickets in 8 innings) (Avg. 12.46)
- Most wickets (for SL) – Nuwan Kulasekara (10 wickets in 7 innings) (Avg. 15.80)
- Best bowling – Lungi Ngidi (4 for 19 at Johannesburg, 2017)
- Best bowling (for SL) – Lakshan Sandakan (4 for 23 at Johannesburg, 2017)