Sri Lanka will host Bangladesh in a 3-match ODI series scheduled to be kicked off at the RPS this week. Let’s take a closer look at the ODI numbers between these two sides.
The two teams first met during the 1986 Asia Cup, hosted by Sri Lanka. On 2nd April at Asgiriya, Sri Lanka beat Bangladesh by 7 wickets in the inaugural match between the sides. Batting first, Bangladesh reached 131/8, which was chased down by Sri Lanka in 32 overs. Asanka Gurusinha top scored with 44. Bangladesh’s long-awaited first win against Sri Lanka came in 2006 at Bogra, where they won by 4 wickets.
Bangladesh vs Sri Lanka head to head ODI record –
- Played – 45
- Bangladesh – 7
- Sri Lanka – 36
- No result – 2
Recap of the last decade
During Bangladesh’s tour of Sri Lanka in 2013, the 3-match ODI series ended in a 1-1 draw. The ODI series of Sri Lanka’s tour to Bangladesh in 2014 resulted in a comprehensive 3-0 whitewash by the visitors. The ODI series between the two sides in Sri Lanka in 2017, ended in a 1-1 draw.
|2017||Sri Lanka||draw||1-1 (3 match series)|
In the Lion’s Den
Sri Lanka have hosted Bangladesh in 19 ODIs.
Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh Head to Head ODI record in Sri Lanka –
- Played – 19
- Sri Lanka – 15
- Bangladesh – 2
- No result – 2
- Premadasa Stadium
The ‘Mecca’ of the cricket-crazy nation, the iconic venue lies in the heart of Colombo amidst the hustle and bustle of the big city. On match day, the RPS comes to life with the boisterous reverberation of ‘papare bands’ and the ardent fans, not only eclipsing the sounds of the city, but also reflecting the unique identity of Sri Lankan cricket. Standing at fifth in the all-time list of most ODIs played on a single ground, the RPS has so far hosted 126 ODI games since its inauguration in 1986. In 1992 it became the first ever floodlit venue in Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka’s overall record at the RPS –
- Played – 108
- Won – 66
- Lost – 35
- No result – 7
Sri Lanka vs Bangladesh ODI record at the RPS –
- Played – 6
- Sri Lanka – 6
- Bangladesh – 0
Bangladesh have played 8 ODIs at the RPS and are yet to win.
- Highest team total – 357/9 (Sri Lanka at Lahore, 2008)
- Highest team total (for BDESH) – 324/5 (at Dambulla, 2017)
- Lowest team total – 76 all out (Bangladesh at SSC, 2002)
- Lowest team total (for SL) – 124 all out (at Dubai, 2018)
- Most runs – Kumar Sangakkara (1206 runs in 28 innings) (Avg. 48.24)
- Most runs (for BDESH) – Tamim Iqbal (645 runs in 20 innings) (Avg. 33.94)
- Most runs in Sri Lanka – T.M. Dilshan (480 runs in 10 innings) (Avg. 68.57)
- Most runs for Bangladesh (in SL) – Tamim Iqbal (362 runs in 7 innings) (Avg. 51.71)
- Highest individual score – T.M. Dilshan (161*at MCG, 2015)
- Highest individual score (for BDESH) – Mushfiqur Rahim (144 at Dubai, 2018)
- Most wickets – Muttiah Muralitharan (31 wickets in 17 innings) (Avg. 17.22)
- Most wickets (for BDESH) – Mashrafe Mortaza (26 wickets in 22 innings) (Avg. 37.15)
- Most wickets in Sri Lanka – Dilhara Fernando (15 wickets in 8 innings) (Avg. 15.06)
- Most wickets for Bangladesh (in SL) – Abdur Razzak (10 wickets in 6 innings) (Avg. 28.40)
- Best bowling – Chaminda Vaas (6 for 25 at Pietermaritzburg, 2003)
- Best bowling (for BDESH) – Abdur Razzak (5 for 62 at Pallekele, 2013)